056 Fighting Anorexia – Do I Really Need More Weight? Plus The Top 10 Benefits Of Gaining Weight!
Anorexia often makes us believe that we do not have to gain any weight in order to be healthy and live fully. However, the effects that being underweight has on your body are numerous.
In this episode, I am making you aware of the serious consequences of not giving your body the nutrients it needs to function and survive.
Here is what can happen and does happen when you are underweight:
- muscle weakness and fatigue
- lower immune system (colds and flu more often)
- loss of muscle mass because the body uses its muscle as fuel
- hair loss due to the fact that your body does not have enough nutrients to grow healthy and strong hair
- lower blood pressure, which causes tiredness, dizzy spells and fainting
- Osteoporosis, which is loos of bone mass
It is much more common in skinny women and is caused by having a deficiency of calcium and vitamin D. Those nutrients are necessary for strong bones.
- Irregular menstrual cycle and infertility
the hormonal system is disrupted from a lack of nutrients
a dysfunctional ovulation can impede pregnancy
- Wrinkles: when you lose weight, you lose the fat in your face that reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- Anemia: characterized by a lower number than normal of red blood cells. The symptoms are fatigue, pain in the chest and shortness of breath
- lower immune system
If your body doesn’t have enough vitamin D, your body won’t be able to metabolize calcium, which can lead to rickets.
If your body doesn’t have enough vitamin C, you can get scurvy.
If your body doesn’t get enough iron, it leads to the aforementioned anemia.
- damage to liver and kidney
- joint pain
That’s an impressive list, isn’t it? The longer you go down that dangerous path, the more at risk you are for those possible results.
Top 10 benefits of gaining weight:
Room for thought.
More chances to succeed.
If you would like to leave me some feedback, you can mail it to [email protected]
You can follow me on twitter: @anneso87
Thanks For Subscribing To The Fighting Anorexia Podcast:
Note: My podcasts are now also available on Stitcher!