A Powerful Way To Calm Anxiety, Relax The Body
Enjoy this relaxation technique called Breathing Through Your Sole before leaving for school or work, to chill-out before crawling between into bed, or any time during the day. It helps relieve anxiety and muscle tension, and quiets the mind.
Read through the steps and you will realize how simple the exercise is. Try it to discover how effective it can be.
Breathing Through Your Sole
- Sit in a chair with your back supported and straight, feet flat against the floor. Your eyes can be open or closed.
- Relax your body and allow the chair to support your weight. Bring your awareness to the soles of your feet resting against the floor. Feel your back, hips, and thighs making contact with the chair.
- Inhale through your nose and exhale through the mouth five times. Let the breaths be slow and deep. Be aware of your stomach and lungs expanding on the inhale.
- Next, imagine that you are inhaling and exhaling through the soles of your feet. Each in breath brings warm, soothing, and balancing energy into all the cells of your body. Your exhales release stress and fatigue. Continue for about two minutes.
- Now, breathe in through your soles of your feet, filling your feet with calming, warm energy; with your exhale let go of stagnant energy and tension. As you breathe, notice any sensations in your feet such as warmth or tingling. Keep going until your feet feel totally relaxed.
- Breathe in (through your soles) filling your ankles and lower legs with calming, warm energy; with your exhale let go of stagnant energy and tension. Notice any sensations such as warmth or tingling. Continue until your ankles and lower legs are completely relaxed. Continue this process upwards through your
- Breathe in (always through your soles) filling your thighs and buttocks . . .
- Breathe in filling your abdomen, pelvis, and the small of your back . . .
- Breathe in filling your stomach, middle back, and chest . . .
- Breathe in filling you upper back, shoulders, and neck . . .
- Breathe in filling your upper arms, elbows, lower arms, wrists, hands, fingers . . .
- Breathe in filling your throat, tongue, jaw, mouth and nose . . .
- Breathe in filling your eye area, ears, temples, and scalp . . .
Begin breathing normally, and imagine that your entire body is filled with a gentle, healing soft-gold light. Know that this soothing energy will stay with you through the coming hours, keeping you calm. When you are ready, let your awareness go back to the physical environment; rest it there a few moments. Now, go about your daily (or nighttime) business.
Later, if you notice anxiety or tension returning, enjoy a slow deep breath and again visualize warm, tranquil golden light filling and relaxing your mind and body.